According to the DHS website, the government shutdown has caused them to suspend their E-Verify services. SELECTiON.COM®’s customer support and all other services are up and running. This will only affect the E-Verify reports.
- E-Verify telephone and e-mail support will be unavailable. You may send e-mail messages, however, they will not respond until they reopen.
- Employees will be unable to resolve E-Verify Tentative Nonconfirmations (TNCs).
- Any E-Verify webinars and training sessions scheduled during the unavailability of E-Verify are cancelled.
- Self Check and myE-Verify will not be available.
To minimize the burden on both employers and employees, the following policies have been implemented by E-Verify:
- The ‘three-day rule’ for E-Verify cases is suspended for cases affected by the unavailability of E-Verify. They will provide additional guidance regarding these time deadlines once they reopen. This does NOT affect Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, requirements—employers must still complete Form I-9 no later than the third business day after an employee starts work for pay, and comply with all other Form I-9 requirements.
- The time period during which employees may resolve TNCs will be extended. The number of days E-Verify is not available will not count toward the days the employee has to begin the process of resolving their TNCs. They will provide additional guidance regarding these time deadlines once we reopen.
- For federal contractors covered by the federal contractor rule, please contact your contracting officer to inquire about extending federal contractor deadlines.
- Employers may not take any adverse action against an employee because the E-Verify case is in an interim case status, including while the employee’s case is in an extended interim case status due to the unavailability of E-Verify. (Consult the E-Verify User Manual for more information on interim case statuses).
Feel free to contact SELECTiON.COM® with any questions on how this will affect your hiring process.
Founded in 1991, SELECTiON.COM® is one of the Nation’s leading providers of pre-employment background screening services. We offer the largest network of in-house researchers, the fastest turnaround on criminal background checks and drug screening, and unsurpassed customer service. Our web application, FASTRAX Select™, allows employers to verify an applicant’s background check information quickly and accurately from the convenience of a personal computer. Average turnaround time on criminal background searches is 2 business days. Thousands of employers nationwide rely on SELECTiON.COM® to help them make smart hiring decisions.